Shaken & Stirred - Influential Brand Profiling and Positioning

Learning Social Media Marketing For Beginners

Love it or hate it, social media attracts huge volumes of people. This creates the perfect opportunity for businesses to target these individuals through various platforms. It’s no surprise that businesses across the world is using them, from behemoth brands and multi-product corporations to cutting-edge digital trading platforms like to local brick and mortar retailers!

As you may imagine, there are a plethora of approaches that can be taken to reach these audiences; and understanding the best route to take can be a challenge. So, stay tuned while we discuss the fundamental steps that should be taken to create the best social media marketing strategy.

Knowing Your Audience

One of the most important factors of any social media marketing campaign is understanding the audience. Why do they behave and consume in the way they do? If not, you’ll end up spending a lot of time and effort into creating content that they won’t relate to. 

That’s why it’s best to answer these simple questions before starting:

  • Who is your target audience?
  • Do they share common interests?
  • Which social media platforms are they most commonly on?

It’s not enough just to make assumptions on what you think works well with your audience. In-depth research must be done to identify different trends you can capitalise on. Many platforms give business accounts access to analytics. This information can be examined to further understand the audience in question. 

Start Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals

Once you’ve got the audience figured out, it’s time to set targets. Unless you know what you’re trying to achieve through social media marketing, time and money is very likely to be wasted. There is a solution to this ambiguity: knowing your goals. When various objectives are set up, they help you measure the all-important return on investment (ROI).

If you’re unsure about what goals to set, the most universally used ones include lead generation, brand awareness, user engagement, website traffic gained and increasing the number of followers. Keep in mind that the most effective campaigns only pick 1 or 2 goals, otherwise the campaign becomes too broad and unable to effectively meet any of them.

Using The Right Platforms

A good place to start, even if your target audience is limited, is to find the best social media platforms to use for marketing. For example, you can find public information regarding the biggest age groups per platform, alongside how many users there are, and more.  

Although this is very basic and more data is needed to find the individuals you’re looking to target, it will help point you in the right direction. Additional information collected from analytics can then be utilised to narrow down who you’re trying to target. 

Developing the Right Mixture of Content

Last but certainly not least, you must ensure the right content is created for your audience. An ideal approach is to look to close competitors to determine how they speak to users and adapt it for your own needs, then making improvements if you can. While the ultimate endgame is to create unique content that makes the brand stand out from the crowd, getting some pointers won’t hurt.

For beginners that still aren’t sure what to post on their account, what is known as the 80-20 rule can help. This translates to 80% of content being entertaining or educating to users. The other 20% should be spent promoting the business to increase conversions. However, this can be modified over time with experience, as you learn what resonates with your audience.